Senior Engineering Manager, SW Platform Engineering
Brain Corp is a San Diego-based AI company creating transformative core technology for the robotics industry. Our diverse engineering teams in Software, Hardware Design, and Embedded Systems are creating comprehensive solutions to support the builders of today's autonomous machines in successfully producing, deploying, and supporting commercial robots across industries and applications. Brain Corp is funded by the SoftBank Vision Fund and Qualcomm Ventures. For more information please visit: https://www.braincorp.com/
As a member of the BrainOS SW Engineering team, the Senior Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a team of Software Engineers and supporting the Chief Architect in translating the platform vision -- building a common robot platform between all our robots -- into a set of actionable deliverables. The selected individual will work closely with multiple teams that include software, firmware, hardware, QA, and product development. For this position, we are looking for a candidate with a strong SW background as well as people leadership to ensure the highest level of capability in the Software team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Chief Architect in the technical leadership and driving best practices for code development, review, testing, and deployment that will ensure high-quality releases to production.
- Lead day-to-day management of the engineering teams including stand-ups and project prioritization.
- Collaborate with Program and Product Managers to ensure prioritization and focus on deliverables and timelines.
- Articulate high-level technical strategies and product vision; encourage and facilitate technical discussions.
- Grow the team by sourcing, hiring, and onboarding top talented and passionate engineers.
- Lead performance coaching and career development for new and existing engineers.
- Help resolve production and customer issues and engineer long-term solutions through root cause analysis and data analytics.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you need:
- BS, Master, or PhD Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or closely related discipline
- 7+ years of demonstrated experience in software development for complex function-based software that interacts with sensors inputs, control loops and redundancy
- Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following: distributed computing, build and test infrastructure, interactive or real-time systems
- 2+ years of Software Leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience leading, mentoring and developing mid-size software engineering teams in a fast-paced environment
- Delivered complete software products that meet rigorous functional safety-critical requirements
- Demonstrated experience identifying and implementing software tools to meet team growth, maintain rigor, and enhance software development process to increase efficiency
- Demonstrated experience leading agile (scrum) development teams and tailoring processes to maximize team’s productivity and efficiency
- Excellent technical and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
Things that make a difference:
- Experience in robotics or IoT with AI at the edge
- Experience supporting an internal software platform
- Experience in deploying and supporting SW
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential functions may require maintaining the physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing for periods of time; operating a computer and keyboard; talk and hear at normal room levels; using hands to grasp, and feel; repetitive motion; close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines; use of measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes; lift, push, carry, or pull up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Employee is exposed to the typical office environment with computers, printers and telephones.