Brain Corp is a San Diego-based AI company creating transformative core technology for the robotics industry. Our vision is to enable robots everywhere, helping people. Our diverse teams are creating comprehensive solutions to support the builders of autonomous machines in successfully producing, deploying, and supporting commercial robots across industries and applications. Brain’s technology powers the largest fleet of autonomous mobile robots globally in commercial public spaces such as retail stores, airports, and schools. We lead the retail automation space with robotic floor care and automated data collection applications.
Brain Corp is funded by the SoftBank Vision Fund, Clearbridge, and Qualcomm Ventures. For more information please visit: https://www.braincorp.com/
Brain Corp is looking for a world-class Controller to scale our accounting function to the next level! We are looking for a critical thinker who wants to create solutions, not just implement predefined plans. Our ideal candidate has the interest and accumen to take a private technology company public, and brings a mix of private and public company experience.
Reporting directly to the CFO, in this role you will manage all areas of accounting for US and international subsidiaries, including providing vision for scalable financial infrastructure, leading the accounting team, preparing financial and regulatory reporting, and refining internal controls. The successful candidate will be intellectually curious, have a healthy blend of self-confidence and humility, and have a talent for understanding the details alongside the big picture.
The Controller responsibilities include accounting operations, taxation, internal controls (including SOX 404 preparation), audit, and stock administration. You will be the primary point of contact with key vendor partners including external auditors, third-party tax professionals, and banking partners. In this high-profile role, you will have the opportunity to interact directly with the Audit Committee, senior executives, and investors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and direct all operations of the accounting department, including financial reporting, technical accounting, operational accounting, A/P, A/R, risk management, internal controls, tax, treasury, and financial systems.
- Lead the Company's financial close process, including preparation of financial statements. Evaluate opportunities to drive greater efficiencies in the monthly and quarterly accounting close process.
- Lead and grow a 10-15 person accounting team toward public-company readiness by improving processes and controls.
- Act as a coach and advisor to the accounting team by sharing expertise and managing the team’s professional development.
- Act as a strong partner to the CFO by providing accounting guidance related to newly issued accounting rules and/or new business transactions and contracts.
- Provide guidance and oversight for the development of accounting policies, procedures, and controls consistent with US GAAP and SOX compliance.
- Prepare materials and present at Audit Committee meetings.
- Collaborate with the FP&A team to prepare financial reports for investors and internal executives.
- Oversee and coordinate the external auditor’s annual audit.
- Manage the Company’s equity programs, capitalization table, options ledger and stock/option related matters. Oversee equity accounting and third-party equity administration.
- Ensure federal, state and local tax compliance, including managing outside tax advisors.
- Manage investment and banking relationships with third parties, including cash flow management.
- Collaborate closely with the business systems team to build automated, scalable, streamlined, and sustainable accounting systems and processes.
What you need:
- 15+ years of public and private industry accounting experience
- Demonstrated experience leading a diverse team of accounting professionals
- Industry experience in enterprise software with a strong understanding of revenue accounting
- Bachelor’ degree in Accounting
- CPA or equivalent required, with big 4 public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Strong experience in financial reporting, technical accounting research, and implementation of business process improvement
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating financial reporting processes that can collect, segregate, and allocate expenses to ensure accurate financial results
- A proven track record of process improvement and experience with financial systems and process change initiatives. Experience with NetSuite strongly preferred
- Expertise in financial, equity management, and payroll software
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to:
- Provide leadership in projects and teams
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gathering and analyzing information skillfully; developing alternative solutions
- Balance team and individual responsibilities
- Delegate work assignments, matching the responsibility to the person; set expectations and monitor delegated activities
- Manage staff in planning, decision-making, and facilitating process improvement
- Make timely decisions, exhibiting sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential functions may require maintaining the physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing for periods of time; operating a computer and keyboard; talk and hear at normal room levels; using hands to finger, grasp, and feel; repetitive motion; close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; lift, push, carry, or pull up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Employees are exposed to the typical office environment with computers, printers and telephones.