Internal Controls Manager
Brain Corp is a San Diego-based AI company creating transformative core technology for the robotics industry. Our diverse teams in Software, Hardware Design, and Embedded Systems are creating comprehensive solutions to support the builders of today's autonomous machines in successfully producing, deploying, and supporting commercial robots across industries and applications. Brain Corp is funded by the SoftBank Vision Fund, Clearbridge, and Qualcomm Ventures. For more information please visit: https://www.braincorp.com/
As a key member of the Finance team, the Internal Controls Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining the Company’s internal control framework and its effectiveness. This role will serve as the primary point of coordination across the Company to develop an entity approach of documenting and improving the internal controls. The Internal Controls Manager will ensure the Company to have a strong internal control environment and provides the highest level of assurance of effective controls covering both financial reporting and operational areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement, and monitor the Company’s internal control framework.
- Help business process owners to develop and maintain efficient and effective controls across the Company.
- Create and standardize control documentation including process narratives, process flowcharts, and risk and controls matrices to evaluate both financial reporting and IT controls.
- Lead internal controls assessments, evaluate business and technology risks, identify mitigation controls and opportunities to improve control environment.
- Report on the internal control framework, control implementation, and control deficiencies to ensure appropriate communication, documentation, escalation to business process owners, senior leadership and the audit committee.
- Work with process owners to formulate policies, and procedures to improve internal controls and compliance, across business processes to gain cost efficiencies and prevent fraud.
- Conduct periodic meetings and walkthroughs with process owners to validate any process changes, update process narratives and assess for control gaps.
- Advise business and process owners of necessary training to bring the Company, departments and staff up to speed on compliance standards. Work with management and Human Resources to prepare adequate training and education material on the internal control objectives, approach and methodology to build knowledge and understanding of risks and controls.
- Assist finance, accounting, human resources, IT, security, privacy, legal, and other critical business functions to update policy manuals and related documentation compliance by staff involved.
- Stay current on relevant changes in generally accepted accounting principles, regulatory guidance, industry best practices, areas of focus/hot topics for external audits, as well as other changes that may impact the value of internal control policies.
- Facilitate requests between control owners and external auditors, actively engage with external auditors to ensure consideration and resolution of all relevant risks and audit findings.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
What you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent is required.
- Minimum 8-11 years of combined IT/financial audit, SEC compliance, SOX 404 experience, with 3 years in Big 4 public accounting or a national CPA firm.
- CPA, or CIA, or equivalent is required.
- Prior experience with enterprise scale ERP systems, such as NetSuite is highly preferred.
- Sarbanes-Oxley 404 experience with strong understanding of internal control frameworks (COBIT/COSO), control processes and current rulings and guidance.
- General understanding of IT systems, software, networks, and the IT concepts.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is required.
- Excellent Project Management skill.
- Ability to effectively present information to management, prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, while adhering to deadlines.
- Exceptional communication, problem solving and dispute resolution skills.
- Ability to guide colleagues with clear instruction and constructive feedback.
- Must be flexible, a team player, and able to multitask.
Things that make a difference:
- Prior technology and/or SaaS industry experience.
- Prior high-growth startup experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential functions may require maintaining the physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing for periods of time; operating a computer and keyboard; talk and hear at normal room levels; using hands to finger, grasp, and feel; repetitive motion; close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; lift, push, carry, or pull up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Employee is exposed to the typical office environment with computers, printers and telephones.