Director, Cloud Engineering (Infrastructure & Applications)
Brain Corp is a San Diego-based AI company creating transformative core technology for the robotics industry. Our diverse teams in Software, Hardware Design, and Embedded Systems are creating comprehensive solutions to support the builders of today's autonomous machines in successfully producing, deploying, and supporting commercial robots across industries and applications. Brain Corp is funded by the SoftBank Vision Fund, Clearbridge, and Qualcomm Ventures. For more information please visit: https://www.braincorp.com/
As a member of the Software Engineering organization, the Director, Cloud Engineering will lead our Cloud Infrastructure, Cloud SW, Data Engineering, and WebApps group and ensure a stable, highly scalable, and well-rounded foundation for our cloud solution. Reporting to the Head of Software, you will help set the vision and strategy for all the cloud and our web-based services and apps (web portal and mobile). The successful candidate will be working at the intersection of engineering, product and program management, customer support, account management, security and IT, understanding both the technical and business requirements, and ensuring that our cloud delivers the highest value to our customers.
In 2021, the primary goal is to successfully complete our cloud rewrite and also increase customer engagement through the launch of the Brain Corp mobile app.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the vision, design, deployment, and support of our cloud infrastructure (compute, storage, data model) and our web services.
- Successfully design, deploy and support webapps that provide actionable feedback and increase product usage and end-user engagement (e.g. internal tools for Tech support, account manager, engineering; external tools and apps for OEM partner, store manager and end-user).
- Lead a consistent, measurable process to operationalize and scale cloud-based strategic initiatives and execution.
- Provide strong leadership, guidance, and direction related to our cloud infrastructure and applications.
- Develops opportunities for cross-team effectiveness and removes organizational barriers for strong teamwork.
- Provide cloud hosting service management strategy, process, and procedures across the organization.
- Responsible for running a 24x7x365 Cloud Infrastructure and Operations organization.
- Identifies and implements critical KPI’s, SLA’s, and metrics necessary to manage and monitor the performance of overall operations.
- Manages budgeting and forecasting, planning, deployment, incident and problem management, change management.
- Manage adherence to security and compliance safeguards, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure compliance and certification regarding relevant standards as well as regulations (e.g. GDPR).
- Proactively communicate with key stakeholders regarding the system availability status, scheduled maintenance windows, and product performance.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you need:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or similar technical field.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in a technical operations/support environment.
- 5+ years leading others in a technical environment.
- Outstanding leadership skills and the ability to inspire a team to create its best work.
- Experience building and leading a high-performance team across multiple geographies.
- Ability to quickly drill down to solve problems and take ownership of the resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Deep experience on hosted cloud technology, ideally on both Amazon AWS and GCP.
- Experience managing highly secure certified/audited environments.
- Strong background in software development and experience in configuration management.
- Proven ability to drive transformation regarding business process improvement initiatives for mid to large scale organizations.
- Experience integrating with 3rd party service platforms and leveraging native services
- Ability to partner cross-functionally in order to drive complex strategic projects.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to work to deadlines successfully managing multiple business-driven initiatives.
- Direct experience driving continuous improvements in process and operational efficiencies; lead process-improvement efforts and manage the implementation of both business processes and technical solutions.
- Expert in managing an infrastructure to meet compliance requirements and achieve 99.9% uptime with high velocity on ticket resolution and issue remediation.
- Knowledgeable in, PCI, EU Data Sovereignty and Privacy, and other compliance metrics along with ISO 9000 and other quality assurance metrics and capable of implementing them in a fast-growing Cloud environment.
Things that make a difference:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field.
- Relevant Industry experience (robotics, IOT with AI at the edge, etc.).
- Successful track record of migration from AWS to another cloud platform.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential functions may require maintaining the physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing for periods of time; operating a computer and keyboard; talk and hear at normal room levels; using hands to finger, grasp, and feel; repetitive motion; close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; lift, push, carry, or pull up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Employee is exposed to the typical office environment with computers, printers and telephones.